CROOKSVILLE — The Hull Pottery Association will host the 26th annual Hull Pottery Association National Show and Sale, “the largest Hull Pottery show in the world,” on Friday, July 12 and Saturday, July 13 at the Crooksville High School located one mile south of Crooksville on state Route 93.
The event’s July 12 hours are 9 to 10 a.m. for members and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for the general public. The hours for the July 13 show are 9 to 10 a.m. for members and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the general public.
Hundreds of rare, authentic and one-of-a-kind Hull Pottery pieces will be displayed at the show.
Visitors, Hull Pottery dealers, collectors, and Hull Pottery Association members from across the U.S. will be attending the show and sale at Crooksville, the “pottery capitol of the world.”
Led by Addis Emmitt (A.E.) Hull, Hull Pottery started production in 1905, making semi-porcelain dinnerware, utilitarian stoneware and decorative tile.
In the 1920s, Hull Pottery maintained numerous factories with its general offices in Crooksville. There were also offices in Chicago and Detroit, a New York office and showroom, as well as a warehouse in New Jersey. Hull later experimented with art pottery and began utilizing a larger variety of colors and glazing techniques in the pottery the company produced.
Following A.E. Hull’s death in 1930, Addis E. Hull, Jr., took over management of the company until 1937 when he became general manager of Shawnee Pottery Company. F.E.Watts then replaced Hull, Jr., as manager of Hull Pottery.
By the late 1930s through the 1950s, Hull Pottery produced various lines of pottery. The most popular line, “Little Red Riding Hood,” consisted of canisters, cookie jars, creamers and sugar bowls. The Hull Pottery art pottery lines were primarily developed with floral themes, such as “Orchid,” “Irish,” “Magnolia,” “Tulip,” and “Calla Lilly Open Rose.” Hull Pottery’s expanding product lines included kitchenware, liquor bottles and piggy banks.
The Hull Pottery plant was destroyed by a flood and a fire it caused in June 1950. The company, renamed “The Hull Pottery Company,” reopened in January 1952 with J.B. Hull as general manager.
Through the 1950s and 1960s, the company produced new artistic lines, such as “Tropicana,” “Continental,” “Tokay,” “Ebb Tide” and “Parchment and Pine.”
From the late 1960s to the mid 1980s, the company predominately produced “Imperial” florist ware and “House ‘n’ Garden” serving ware.
After J.B. Hull’s death in 1978, Henry Sullens became president of the company, followed by Larry Taylor.
In the mid-1980s, foreign competition and multiple union strikes forced the company to close the plant in March 1986. The Friendship Pottery Company then purchased the building. The building was destroyed by fire during renovation in August 1993.
The Hull Pottery Association seeks to preserve, educate and promote Hull Pottery, its heritage and collectors, and recognizes the work of its employees who designed, produced and sold Hull Pottery. The Hull Pottery Association supports Hull Pottery collections by soliciting new memberships, conducting regional and national shows and strengthening relationships with Hull Pottery dealers. The Association also supports and recognizes those who author and publish books which display photos of Hull pottery pieces, provide price guidelines for each pottery piece and historical information.
“I am very pleased with the success of our show and the attendance from all over the country,” said Iva Sisson of the Hull Pottery Association. “We have a wonderful organization of great people and all love the Hull Pottery with collections of hundreds of pieces.”
For more information about Hull Pottery, the Hull Pottery Association, activities and shows, visit hullpotteryassociation.org.
Sherry M. Stanley is a staff reporter with the Pike County News Watchman, a Herald sister publication.